These accomplishments are not mine alone. This list represents the hard work of countless county employees, private citizens and other public and private partners. Together, we can craft solutions that work for all of Travis County while standing up for Central Texas values — SE
Our Healthy Future
- Advocated for full spectrum women’s reproductive services
- Advocated for higher standards of behavioral health care at the Travis County Jail
- Supported creation of the Mental Health Public Defender’s Office
- Advocated for the swiftest possible transition away from housing the mentally ill in jail and toward increased access to community and emergency behavioral health services.
- Supported expansion of CommUnityCare, Peoples and other clinic services throughout Travis County
Our Mobile Future
- Wrote, passed, and defended Toll Road covenants at CAMPO to protect toll rate payers and secure more funding for transit and bike/ped improvements
- Voted against 183A tolls subsidizing the 290E Toll Road
- Voted to concentrate transportation funding to support existing communities instead of promoting further sprawl
- Advocated for local-option transportation funding at the Texas Legislature
- Completed the first two phases of Wells Branch Parkway extension
- Completed the expansion of Gattis School Road
- Completed the Travis County portion of the Pecan Street improvements in Pflugerville
- Advocated at CAMPO for planning to reduce area tailpipe emissions and improve air quality
- Supported alternative commute options at CAMPO, at Travis County and on my own bicycIe!
Our Green Future
- Invested in protecting green spaces and completing the Balcones Canyonland Preserve, the Onion Creek Trail, and the Gilleland Creek Trail.
- Added a cricket pitch and skate park to Northeast Metro Park.
- Prevented destructive recreational use of the Balcones Canyonland Preserve.
- Kept Austin’s Water Treatment Plant 4 out of the Balcones Canyonland Preserve.
- Won $3.5 million settlement from developers for fouling Hamilton Pool
- Voted to move forward with the Waller Creek Tunnel, protecting water quality and reclaiming the creek for Downtown Austin.
- Implemented new stringent county water quality and stormwater regulations
- Opposed the expansion of the WMI and BFI landfills on 290E
Our Efficient Future
- Advocated for transparent and performance-based budgeting and contract awards to achieve the best and most cost-effective government services.
- Supported increased transparency and accountability by moving Travis County government online with paperless agendas for Commissioners Court proceedings and publishing the county code on the Web.
- Championed a new Travis County Intergovernmental Relations Office to collaborate with local, regional and state government to improve our collective efficiency and effectiveness.
Our Just Future
- Established the Travis County Tax Team to relieve the burden of county property taxes on those least able to afford them
- Supported expanded public defender services, including the Offices of Parent and Child Representation and the Mental Health Public Defender’s Office
- Supported specialized courts to reduce repeat offenses of DWI, public intoxication, drug use, and family violence
- Advocated for the expansion of workforce training, after school programs, summer youth programs, rent and utility assistance, mortgage down payment assistance, and child care for the most vulnerable Travis County residents